Check Cashing Policy
As a free service to our customers, Exchange provides the convenience of cashing personal checks for amounts up to $300 per day, in addition to accepting checks for the amount of purchase, subject to availability of funds. For non-personalized checks, the maximum limits are:
- For cash - $100
- For purchases or purchases plus cash - exact amount of purchase plus $100; total limit $500
Two-party personal checks:
- Limited to $100 per person per day
The person who endorses a two-party check is responsible to Exchange if the check is returned. This doesn’t preclude possible collection action against the maker (writer) of the check if the endorser fails to redeem the check and fees. Check presentation privileges will be suspended for the endorser and the maker while the checks and fees remain unpaid.
Three-Party Checks that are not payable to Exchange or to the individual presenting the check cannot be accepted.
Stale Dated Checks:
Checks dated 90 days earlier than presentment will be considered stale dated and will not be accepted.
Depending on the availability of funds, Exchange will cash "safe" checks up to $500.
"Safe" checks are (U.S. dollar only limit $500):
- U.S. Treasury checks
- U.S. state, county or city government
- American Red Cross
- Army Emergency Relief
- Air Force Aid Society
- Navy Relief Society
- U.S. money orders
- U.S. traveler’s checks (presented by the purchaser)
- U.S. bank cashier’s and certified checks
- U.S. federal and state chartered credit union Exchange service (all Services) checks
- U.S. insurance company checks
- Payroll checks issued by authorized government contractors and other non-appropriated fund agencies
- Western Union checks.
Gift Cards purchased with a check will be subject to the limits:
- $300 for personalized checks
- $100 for non-personalized checks
- $500 for safe checks
Exchange requires all customers provide certain information on the face of their checks before we accept them.
This information includes:
- Sponsor’s rank (if active duty)
- Presenter’s name and telephone number
Required contact information:
- Active duty service members and family members: Full unit mailing address (not the member’s unit P.O. Box number).
- Civilian employees: Organization’s name and full mailing address.
- Exchange associates: Associate’s exchange name and complete facility name.
- All others: Guard, reserve, retirees, URFW / URFH; etc., complete home address.
Checks are accepted if:
- Check cashing and / or Exchange credit program privileges haven’t been suspended or
- Check cashing daily limit has not been exceeded.
Exchange imposes a $25 service charge on each dishonored check to recover costs incurred in the collection process.The charge is waived if there is proof that the check was returned because of an Exchange or finance office error. This proof is normally in the form of a letter from the customer's financial institution.
Check presentation and Exchange Credit Program privileges are immediately suspended when a check is returned unpaid. These privileges will be reinstated when full voluntary payment is received for all outstanding debts, including administrative fees. However, if four or more checks are returned within a six-month period, check presentation privileges are suspended indefinitely. Requests for waiver of indefinite suspension should be directed to HQ Exchange, P.O. Box 650038; Attn: FA-T/C (Returned Checks); Dallas, TX 75265-0038
Disclaimer of Responsibility:
Military sponsors can disclaim responsibility of a current or former family member by providiing the exchange a Disclaimer of Responsibility. The sponsor and family member's social security number will be coded in the computer so that no exchange will cash the family member's check. The disclaimed individual can still use the exchange as an authorized patrol, but cannot cash checks.
Intentional or repeated presentation of dishonored checks carries severe penalties. As the Intallation Commander, you can suspend a customer's exchange privileges. Customers may face Uniform Code of Militarty Justice action and / or Civil Court prosecution.