Keep Summer Lunches Fun
By: Brigette Vinson, FNS
The kids are almost out of school. Summer is upon us. How are you going to keep your family on track with a healthy lifestyle? And still make lunches fun? Below are a few examples of quick and healthy lunch recipes. You can always refer to ChooseMyPlate.gov to plan your portions. Remember to keep half your plat fruits and vegetables.
-Whole grain or flax tortillas, fajita size
-Low fat, lean deli meats
-Reduced fat deli cheese slices
-Baby spinach leaves
-Sliced cherry tomatoes
-Light Ranch dressing
- Wrap tortillas in damp paper towel and heat for 15 seconds in microwave.
- Layer 2 deli meat slices, 1 cheese slice, spinach, and tomatoes on each tortilla.
- Top with a drizzle of dressing and Roll Up.
-1 box of whole grain Mac and cheese
-Skim or 1% milk
-1 TBS olive oil
-2 C frozen mixed veggies
-1/2 C salsa (optional)
- Prepare Mac according to package instructions*
- *Use low fat milk in place of whole. Use Olive Oil in place of butter.
- Reheat frozen veggies according to package instructions
- Stir veggies (and salsa) into prepared Mac.
PB & B:
-Large banana, sliced into coins
-2 TBSP creamy peanut butter
-Chopped peanuts (or your choice of nuts)
- Spread peanut butter evenly over each banana slice.
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and drizzle lightly with honey.
Ants on a Log:
-1 TBSP crunchy peanut butter
- Clean celery. Cut off ends.
- Spread peanut butter inside stalk.
- Stick raisin “ants” along the log.
-1 large green apple
-2 TBSP nut butter
- Slice apples into ¼” circles.
- Take out core with small round cookie cutter.
- Take one slice of apple, spread nut butter, top with raisins and rolled oats.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Place 2nd apple slice on top to form sandwich.