The Exchange Test Method
LABORATORY TEST METHOD NO. H-7: WINDPROOFNESS OF UMBRELLAS
To determine the ability of umbrellas to withstand being turned inside out in high wind conditions without suffering damage to spreaders or other parts.
Umbrellas are forcefully turned inside out three times. This simulates high wind conditions. Damage is assessed after each of three forceful slings.
APPARATUS AND MATERIALS:
Three samples of each style umbrella to be tested.
- 4.1 Open specimen and lock into position.
- 4.2 Hold the handle firmly with both hands and sling umbrella forcefully.
- 4.3 Repeat this three times with each sample.
Carefully examine each sample for any damage. Examples of damage are as follows:
- Thread breakage at rib attachment
- Broken ribs
- Bent ribs
- Any other damage which affects usability or appearance
Indicate type of damage incurred and number of samples affected.